Are you an enthusiastic, time-served commercial vehicle engineer/manager with a passion for learning and developing new skills in both you and those around you? If so, here is your chance to use the technical knowledge and managerial skills you have already gained in a broader Fleet Engineer role that is both office and workshop-orientated, while also developing new skills and knowledge in alternative fuels, including BEVs. Based at Beenham, near Reading, but providing support and leadership for Grundon's six vehicle workshops (located in Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Bristol), you will join us on a permanent full-time contract and earn a competitive salary with a host of great benefits, including:
- Company car
- Private healthcare
- Discretionary bonus (performance based)
- Pension scheme (you contribute 5% of pay, Grundon matches this) with life assurance cover
- Option to buy additional holiday
About our Fleet and Workshops
Behind every Grundon waste collection vehicle is a fully committed team including Operations, Fleet and Workshops. The journey starts with the business need, which evolves to vehicle specifications and supplier liaison, to ensure quality and attention to detail, resulting in a vehicle matched to the business and legislation.
Along with preparing these new vehicles for release into service, our workshops also look after all Grundon commercial fleet issues, including correcting daily defects, service maintenance and MOT - all in place to support and ensure compliancy for our customers, operations and Special Events team.
What you'll be doing as Fleet Engineer
A significant and important part of your role will be supporting the workshop managers and their teams to deliver a highly compliant standard of service on a day-to-day basis, ensuring the operations are running effectively, and that teams are motivated and engaged. You will also work closely with the Group Fleet Engineer to move our fleet forward towards alternative fuel options, ensuring the knowledge and skillset of the workshop teams match the changing needs.
You will work and share an office with the Fleet team at our Beenham office, but will generally spend a great deal of your time out and about in the business with the teams you will oversee.
Other areas will also include:
- Providing knowledge in the areas of chassis and body to assist vehicle uptime
- Sharing knowledge and best practice linked to alternative fuels
- Maintenance and systems related to electric vehicles
- Developing workshop sites and processes to an acknowledged accredited industry standard
- Arranging training on new products
- Working on key projects, including vehicle development and procurement
- Providing top-draw customer service!
What we're looking for in our Fleet Engineer
- City & Guilds Part 1, 2 and 3 in Heavy Vehicle Technology, TEC or NVQ equivalent
- Good working knowledge and understanding of 'O' licences, cost control, and current and future legislation
- Ideally, IRTEC Level 3 Decommission & Recommission qualification, or equivalent, or a willingness to gain
- Approachable and confident communicator
- Full clean UK driving licence, with LGV Class 2 entitlement minimum
- Competent in Word, Excel and Outlook and associated workshop/fleet management systems
Finally, given the evolving landscape around alternative fuels, we know that ready-made candidates with full operational knowledge of the processes and requirements involved in maintaining these vehicles are few and far between. Therefore, a commitment to training and development, for both yourself and your teams, is vital.
Working hours: 40 per week, 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri, though flexibility may be required.
Grow with Grundon
At the cutting-edge of waste management, we are ranked in the prestigious Sunday Times PwC Top Track 250 league table of top-performing private companies. Interested in joining our success story as Fleet Engineer? Click apply. No agencies please.
Please note: We don’t use closing dates, but interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match, so do apply as soon as possible