Accuracy, attention to detail, an analytical mind and a love for numbers are the qualities we are looking for in our part-time Payroll Assistant. If you have a natural aptitude for payroll and you're happy to consider a 14-month fixed-term contract covering a period of maternity leave, then you could be the conscientious support we need for our Payroll Officer. Based at our modern Benson head office in South Oxfordshire, you will earn a competitive salary plus some great benefits, including:
- Pension scheme – you contribute 5% of pay (true cost is less due to Income Tax and NI relief) and Grundon matches this
- Reward and discount shopping scheme
- Discounted gym membership (at participating gyms)
About the Payroll Assistant (maternity cover) role
High standards of payroll, combined with an increasing workload as Grundon continues to grow, means our Payroll Officer requires a focused and rigorous right-hand person to help provide a professional in-house payroll service.
Assisting in the completion of two weekly payrolls covering approx 550 employees over 15 sites, and monthly payrolls of around 300 employees, your duties as Payroll Assistant (maternity cover) will include:
- Downloading new starters’ details and amended employee information from the HRIS system on a weekly/monthly basis, in preparation for import into the payroll system.
- Checking overtime and bonus payments, plus holiday and sickness information, raising any queries with managers and chasing relevant documentation (e.g. Self-Certificates and Fit Notes).
- Verifying timesheets, ad-hoc weekly bonus payments, expenses, holiday and sickness forms each week/month.
- Calculating Company Sick Pay entitlements.
- Understanding and applying all statutory payments due, i.e. SSP, SMP, SPP and SAP.
- Keeping up to date with payroll legislative information and changes.
What we’re looking for in our Payroll Assistant (maternity cover)
You may already have some payroll admin experience, or a background working with numbers – for example, bookkeeping or accountancy, but key to this role is an excellent eye for detail, with a high level of accuracy. You should also have:
- The ability to gain an understanding of payroll processes and legislation, including working knowledge of PAYE, SSP, SPP, SAP, NI and pensions.
- Sound working knowledge of administration processes.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- A good understanding of databases, ideally HR/payroll integrated systems.
- A professional and helpful telephone manner, with a passion to deliver excellent customer service.
Working hours: 8am-5pm on Mondays and Tuesdays, 8.30am-1.30pm on Wednesdays to Fridays. A total of 32 hours per week; or a minimum of 25 hours, to include full-time hours on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Grow with Grundon
Grundon is a leading, long-established and award-winning waste management, environmental and quarrying company that develops and invests in the people that work for us. This is a fantastic opportunity to join our success story as Payroll Assistant (maternity cover) and strengthen our team. No agencies please.
Please note: We don’t use closing dates, but interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match, so do apply as soon as possible.