Are you a hands-on graduate chemist interested in the fascinating and thriving environmental sector, or do you already have experience and are looking to step up? Either way, here’s your chance to join Grundon's industry-leading hazardous waste transfer facility in South Oxfordshire and gain further skills plus progression opportunities. As Site Chemist, you’ll join us full-time on a permanent contract and earn a competitive salary and great benefits, including:
- Pension scheme – you contribute 5% of pay (true cost is less due to Income Tax and NI relief) and Grundon matches this
- Life assurance cover as a member of our pension scheme (twice your annual salary from day one)
- Discretionary bonus based on performance
- Option to buy additional holiday and join cycle to work scheme (after a qualifying period)
- Discounted gym membership (at participating gyms)
What you'll be doing as Site Chemist
Joining a hard-working and highly skilled team, you’ll help with the day-to-day operation of the transfer station – receiving incoming consignments of waste, checking documentation, completing waste transfer notes and raising non-conformances. Other duties will include unloading and loading lorries, operating forklift trucks (we’ll train you up) and inspecting, classifying and segregating waste deliveries. You’ll also be expected to muck in and help to sweep and jet-wash the yard to ensure a tidy site.
The work of a Site Chemist involves an element of physical labour and conditions can be uncomfortable – e.g. working in a chemical protection suit.
Already have experience? Then you'll join us at a higher level and take on extra responsibilities:
- Listing, segregating and packing waste for collection by our drivers on customer sites
- Driving company vans to collect small waste consignments
- Shunting vehicles around the yard for unloading/loading of waste/containers
- Assisting with contractor management on site
- Helping to plan daily tasks for site operators
What we’re looking for in our Site Chemist
- Good chemistry knowledge is a must – you have a degree (minimum HNC) in Chemistry or a Chemistry/Environmental-related discipline.
- This isn’t a lab-based job so you’ll need to show us that you’re willing to work outside – perhaps you have experience of working outdoors, or an interest that involves being outside in all weathers.
- You’re practical and hands-on.
- A safety-conscious approach.
- Full UK driving licence.
Working hours: 7am-4pm or 9am-6pm Mon-Friday, rotated on a fortnightly basis. A total of 40 hours per week.
Grow with Grundon
Grundon is a leading provider of waste management and environmental services and we’re adept at finding innovative solutions. Our hazardous and clinical waste collection and disposal services are award-winning and our facilities include an advanced aerosol recycling facility.
Interested in joining the Grundon success story as our Site Chemist? Click apply. No agencies please.
Please note: We don't use closing dates, but interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match, so do apply as soon as possible