Grundon Waste Management has published its latest Corporate Environmental Report covering the period 2008-09. This is the fourth such report published by Grundon, now covering the ten year period 2000 – 2009 and clearly demonstrating the company’s ongoing commitment to reducing the environmental impact of its operations.
Performance is measured against previous year and in some cases against 2000, showing how far the company has progressed in the last decade.
Headline achievements covered by this latest report include:
- 78% overall reduction in greenhouse gas emissions compared with 2000
- Greenhouse gas emissions per tonne of waste handled have fallen sharply from 0.58 tonnes of CO2 equivalent in 2009 to 0.07 in 2009
- 50% increase in electricity generated at landfill sites by harnessing methane gas emissions – sufficient to power an additional 3700 homes
- 9% improvement in overall fuel economy for our waste collection fleet compared with 2007
- Over a ten year period the company has planted almost 28,000 trees and over 2,000 metres of hedgerow.
The reports measure performance against a core set of environmental indicators developed by the Green Alliance. Toni Robinson, Compliance Manager said:
“I’m immensely proud of the fact that we have stuck to our commitment to publish on a regular basis. More importantly, the report, and all of the monitoring and measurement activities that underpin it, has produced a culture change within the company. More and more of our people understand the significance of what we are achieving, and they place great value on that”.
Although our overall performance continues to improve, we failed to achieve several of the key targets we set for ourselves 2009. We are not immune from the economic downturn – for example we are driving the same distances to our customers but collecting less waste when we get there”. Despite this setback we have continued to invest in more sustainable and fuel-efficient technologies and we expect to see the benefits of this work through in future reports”.
Copies of the Corporate Environmental Report 2008-09 can be downloaded from the top level Environmental Care page of this website
Photoa CaptionBack to news