Founded in 1929 by Stephen Grundon, we are the largest privately owned waste management company in the UK. The company is well respected nationally for its professionalism and is acknowledged to be in the vanguard of waste management practice and innovation.
The origin of the company can be traced back to Stephen Grundon’s parents, who owned a successful London horse drawn bus business. With the advent of the internal combustion engine, Stephen made the decision to join this latest technological revolution. In 1929 he purchased a First World War era Pierce Arrow truck and fitted it with hydraulic tipping gear. With Stephen at the wheel, the company began as a local aggregate supply business. The Sand & Gravel part of the Grundon business remains as important today, although the business has grown and developed over years into different industrial territories, with recycling operations beginning in the 1970s.
Following in his father's tradition of innovation and enterprise Norman Grundon became Chairman in 1993, and today his son Neil Grundon is Deputy Chairman, making Grundon a third generation family owned business.
Today, Grundon is one of the UK’s leading providers of waste management and environmental services, but still maintains great pride in its heritage and that it still demonstrates a distinctive approach which is true to its family values.
Grundon Waste Management was recognised at the Cotswold Life Family Business Awards as the Oxfordshire Winner of Family Business of the Year 2014.
Our proud history has included many milestones, industry-first and examples of innovation:
• Opened new West London Anaerobic Digestion facility in Surrey
• Entire road going vehicle fleet is certified as CarbonNeutral®
• Acquisition of industrial cleaning services expertise through the purchase of Arundelle Industrial Services Ltd
• Grundon publishes its Corporate Report covering the years 2012-2013
• Opened new Materials Recovery Facility at Bishop’s Cleeve, Gloucestershire
• Investment in Carbon8 Aggregates
• Opened new Waste Transfer Station building at Colnbrook, Berkshire
• Opened first phase of the new Hazardous Waste Transfer Station at Ewelme, Oxfordshire
• Lakeside Energy from Waste plant commences operation
• Grundon Waste Management Ltd, Colnbrook, granted the Royal Warrant of Appointment by Her Majesty The Queen in the category of Waste Management
• Grundon publishes its third Corporate Environmental Report covering the years 2006 – 2007
• Construction of Grundon's first Energy from Waste plant commences
• Publication of the second Grundon Corporate Environmental Report, covering the years 2001 – 2005
• Grundon and Mole Valley District Council open a new Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) at Leatherhead – Grundon's fourth MRF
• Grundon celebrates 75 years of success with a family fun day attended by employees and their families. Three generations of Grundons also attend!
• Publication of the first Grundon Corporate Environmental Report
• Grundon commissions the latest state-of-the-art Materials Recovery Facility capable of handling 100,000 tonnes of waste a year
• Grundon builds the first environmentally acceptable clinical waste incinerator in the UK
• Grundon introduce the wheeled trade waste system (or wheelie bin) - now used throughout the UK - for trade and household waste collection
• Grundon builds the world's largest high-density waste baling plant at Colnbrook
• Grundon undertakes a worldwide survey of waste collection and disposal techniques throughout Europe and North America and bring the Front End Loader vehicle to the UK
• Stephen Grundon and his father purchase their first internal combustion vehicle - a Pierce-Arrow
Contact Us Now